Reducing stigma starts with changing our language and accepting that addiction is a disease.
Check out this resource for more info on how you can be an ally!
Instead of saying this...
- Substance or drug abuser
- Reformed Addict
- Person with Substance Use Disorder (SUD)
- Person in Active Use (use the person’s name and then say “is in active use”)
- Person with Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD)
- Person who misuses alcohol
- Person in recovery or long-term recovery
- Person who previously used drugs
- Substance Use Disorder
- Testing Negative
- In recovery
- Abstinent from Drugs
- Testing Positive
- Person who uses drugs